Like what you read? Subscribe to Overthread now! I'm on overthread!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Making A Vest From Used Levi's Jeans



I had this Levi's Jeans that I no longer wanted to wear. But I didn't want to throw it away because it is Levi's!! :( So rather than turning it into a bag, I decided to make a vest out of it. I had no specific design in my head but I was desperate to salvage this jeans! :(

First I cut the length of material for my body just below the crotch area. And later rip apart the seams in the inner sides of the jeans (the crotch area) and sew both together; leaving enough space for the armpit. At this point, I know I wanted to make a "boob coat" instead of the normal waist coat. I don't know the actual term for a boob coat. LOL. Read on and you'll understand what I mean.

The design for my coat is constantly evolving. First I made just a normal looking denim jacket. But soon, I saw myself cutting a whole chunk of material in the front! Making clothes that fit you (ie. the tailor) can really be frustrating; especially when you don't have a mannequin, rely on manual hand-stitching and very particular about symmetry like me! It took me 3 days to complete this btw. HAHAHAHA!

The most difficult thing I had to do was the pleating at the back (arrow). I've never done pleats before. I wanted it to look as symmetry as possible. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the end result. Anyway, the back was an oversight on my part. Normally for a denim jacket, there should be a T seam instead of what I have which is just a straight line. It looked very much like a Wild Hogs kinda denim jacket. :(

But I am very happy with the vest! And promise to wear it one of these days. Like I said earlier, it's not really a waist coat. It's like those half coat thingy girls wear. I don't know what's it called. I've been wanting to get one in my size. But none caught my attention. So what a better way than making one myself out of a used Levi's Jeans. Loves it!



Hehehe..........



1 comment:

  1. Yey!

    Sounds like I have something to look forward to...

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...