Like what you read? Subscribe to Overthread now! I'm on overthread!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Coolest Bacteria



When I think of bacteria, I think ugly, mutated.... thing!

So while working on my assignment, I googled for a species of bacteria called Deinococcus radiodurans. I was told beforehand by the lecturer that this bacteria is really "amazing"! I brush it off and thought that was just nerd talking. I mean, how amazing can a bacteria be? I know it is constantly mutating to survive; some kills you, some are harmless. So what's so new and amazing?

Well, it was not until I read an entry on Wikipedia that I know what he meant when he said 'amazing'. Deinococcus radiodurans must be the most cutest and amazing bacteria I've ever read about. Not only can it withstand radiation, it even has a cute nickname to go along with it: "Conan the Bacterium". LOL! CUTE!

But I think the coolest thing ever about this bacterium is when scientists came up with the idea to insert a translated song of "It's a Small World" into the bacteria; after which 100 generations later remained intact and unmutated (AMAZING!!). And thought it would be a neat idea to use this bacteria to store information that might survive a nuclear catastrophe.

And all I can think of... why choose "It's A Small World"?

Oh, and how about this:

It was proposed that the bacteria had a Martian origin. Great! It is cute, cool, scary, and of alien descent! I just think scientists watch too much star trek.

Just thought I'd share this piece of interesting information to everyone.

0 new ideas: