Like what you read? Subscribe to Overthread now! I'm on overthread!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My First DIY Computer!!!



Ok, so I've decided to go with a DIY desktop. I put all my faith and father's money into my boyfriend's hands, and boy he didn't disappoint us! Photos are courtesy of my boyfriend. You can visit his tech/personal blog here: diabolicdisease.wordpress.com


I don't know anything about computer parts. Even though my boyfriend has tirelessly taught me what the are. So far, I only know my computer has a Radeon 4870 graphics card. I also have a 2GB RAM and 250GB memory. And my computer now runs at 2.66GHz and approximately 300 frames per second. We immediately noticed the drastic change in speed. My surfing and gaming speeds are over the roof! The temperature is greatly reduced with an additional fan at $14. So now my PC temperature is around 40 degree celcius. AMAZING! I know it's nothing close to a gaming pc, but at least it works just fine for our family's daily usage. Plus, the blue LED looked quite cool. My boyfriend chose an ASUS casing which has the mesh on the sides to ensure airflow so my motherboard won't get fried again (hopefully!). Btw, my boyfriend has since switched the CPU fan you see in the photo to a Silent Knight fan. It's actually his unused fan.

I have to admit, I was very scared to venture into this unchartered territories (at least for my family). We've been relying solely on branded computer. From HP to Dell to Compaq. We only buy those from a certified computer retailer that comes with 3 years warranty. So over the weekend my father is now a DIY convert thanks to my boyfriend. What's cool is you get to upgrade your computer at any point of time, add LED lights and you can add more fans or fix a better one to ensure airflow.

Branded computers on the other hand, only include cheap computer parts, does not allow upgrades as it actually voids your warranty, and you need to go to them to replace anything in case of damage. Thus you're actually paying more for their services rather than their technology! At least in DIY, you get to stretch and maximize your dollar.

I love my boyfriend! He's the best!

0 new ideas: