Like what you read? Subscribe to Overthread now! I'm on overthread!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chinese New Year In Melaka 2009



I spent my Chinese New Year on a trip to Melaka (or Malacca). I have traveled to every state in Peninsular Malaysia, and so have been to most of their tourist attractions. Before the recent trip, I have always felt Melaka is a really boring state, lacking in new things to see and places to be. The Stadthuys Square is still red in colour. Everything is just the way it was more than 10 years ago.




The only thing in their town area that is worth mentioning is their traditional trishaw. It is colourful, adorned with flowers and lights, and techno music to accompany your rides.

From where I was staying, it was a 10 minute walk to Jonker Walk. Buildings were mostly renovated Chinese shop houses. It turns into a picturesque street at night and is every photographers' dream. It was the week leading up to Chinese New Year and hence we were treated to bright lit lanterns, lion dance, fire works, tea parties outside a Chinese temple... All on Jonker Walk.




Along the streets were stalls selling bubble tea and other touristy stuff. It looked like Kuala Lumpur's Petaling Street. I came across a boutique store selling clothes of my size (LOL!). I bought a beautiful floral dress for RM150!!! I really think it is worth the buy because the dress is something unique and quirky. It rained soon after, so we seek shelter at a nearby chendol shop selling nonya chendol.



The shop also proudly displayed their Coca-Cola collection from all over the world.

I have never met anyone who has collected this much cans and bottles of coca cola in my life, ever! And it is quite an expensive hobby as well... And may I add, a chore to keep it free of dust.


The photo above is just part of their extensive collection!!!

I think the best way to visit Melaka is by walking. Firstly, it provides many photographic opportunities, and secondly you'll come across a Dutch grave site that dates back to the 17th Century; tucked away nicely in a small quiet street. (And my last reason, but not that important, is that parking lots are not that many).


Anyway I came across something quite funny on one of the tombstones. It was a tomb that dates back to the 1600s. And on it was an engraved skull and crossbones.


Being at grave yards this old, is really... something. I can just picture how 17th Century looked like. And 17th Century doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

On our second day, we drove up to supposedly try out their go-kart circuit. But upon looking at the lack of safety and the extremely high speed marred by the atrocious driving skills of the other racers, I immediately chickened out for fear of a whiplash; while my brother braved his balls and paid RM10 for 3 rounds around the circuit.


Just next door to the go-kart circuit is a horse stable. My brother and dad had a ride each on one of their horses for RM5 (one round). Quite expensive, but worth the experience.



Its so cool to touch the horses. You can actually feel that they are made of 100% muscle! They had quite a lot of horses at the stable. 2 of them are racing horses and had their eyes covered to prevent diseases brought by mosquito. They also have 3 little ponies. So cute!! My brother looking like a dork in the above photo.

Personally, I feel Malaysia is the best place to visit at any time of the day, week, month, year. You can drive up to the mountains to experience cool climate. You can also take a boat ride to a nearby island for a sun tan. The best place to put your SUV for a test drive, the best place to scuba dive and snorkel. Cheap and familiar food is available everywhere. And I learned that in different states, the people speak with a different accent. Makes it very easy to pick out a Malay Singaporean ;) And just a tip: If you can speak (convincingly) the local accent, you're in for big bargains!

My most favourite state in Malaysia? KUALA LUMPUR! The most adorable state in Malaysia? PERLIS! There is no shopping centres, just large hectares of paddy fields. And the tallest building is their government building. I find their U-turn traffic light really hilarious! That was before I came across the new CIQ Johor Bahru's traffic lights. They replaced the conventional green traffic light with a picture of a car and a bus. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Perlis shares its borders with Southern Thailand. Most of the Thais living in the South are Muslims. So I find it bizzare to come across Thai speaking ladies in a typical Malay Muslim garment.

In my next entry, I'll write about the house I stayed at for this trip. The place is quite something.

0 new ideas: